How Do I...

Frequently asked questions...

How do I call for a Deputy?

For crimes in progress and other life threatening emergencies, dial 911. For non-emergencies call dispatch at 937-653-3409. 

How do I file a complaint regarding a dog running at large?

The Champaign County Dog Warden is on duty Monday-Friday from 08:00 to 16:00, please contact Deputy Melany Ward at 937-484-1613 and leave a detailed message regarding the animal complaint.

How do I get a copy of a crime report?

For crimes reported in Champaign County, contact the Sheriff's Records Section at 308 Miami Street, Urbana, OH 43078 (Phone: 937-484-6091). For all others, contact the responsible law enforcement agency.

How do I get information about someone who was arrested?

Contact the Tri-County Regional Jail at 937-834-5000. They can advise if someone has been arrested, the charges, whether or not they will be released on bail, cited or released on their own recognizance and they can also provide bail amount if applicable.

How do I get a restraining order?

Contact the Champaign County Common Pleas Courthouse, 200 N. Main Street, Urbana, OH 43078 (2nd Floor) or call 937-484-1000 for information.

I know who committed a crime... why doesn't the Sheriff's Office arrest the person right now?

Deputies arriving at a crime in progress are often able to accomplish an arrest on the spot. Except for critical situations, crimes reported after-the-fact require detailed gathering of information for investigation. Facts and evidence developed during the investigative process must be sufficient for an arrest warrant to be issued. Often, investigative workload and priorities mean that some cases are not processed as quickly as victims perceive they should be. Knowing who is assigned to your case and providing any additional discovered information is often vital to getting a case resolved.

I'm interested in the senior watch program. How do I sign up?

Any senior citizen wishing to sign up for the senior watch check can register online, or call records at 937-484-6091 Monday-Friday from 08:00 AM to 04:00 PM and register


Register Online Here

Please reload


Download Application for a Standard, or Renewal License >

Download Application for a Temporary C.C.W. Permit>